Employer

A good apprenticeship training programme can really boost a company's business by creating skilled, happy and motivated staff who can add value and bring new innovative ideas to the business.

Apprenticeships combine work based training with actual on the job experience. Apprenticeships give your employees new knowledge and first-hand experience to build on their skills, whether they are existing staff or new employees.

We offer a range of training programmes, choose one of the options below to get started.

The government have placed employers into two categories:-

  1. Levy Employer
  2. Non-Levy employer

Levy Employer

  • If you’re an employer with a pay bill over £3 million each year, you must pay the apprenticeship levy from 6 April 2017. Read guidance on how to pay the apprenticeship levy.
  • You will report and pay your levy to HMRC through the PAYE process.
  • The levy will not affect the way you fund training for apprentices who started an apprenticeship programme before 1 May 2017. You’ll need to carry on funding training for these apprentices under the terms and conditions that were in place at the time the apprenticeship started.

If you are a levy-paying employer, you can now create an account on the apprenticeship service to:

  • Receive levy funds for you to spend on apprenticeships
  • Manage your apprentices
  • Pay your training provider
  • Stop or pause payments to your training provider

You can only use your Levy funding for apprenticeship training, the funds expire after 24 months of entering your digital account.

For further information on the Levy please visits the website below

www.gov.uk/government/publications/apprenticeship-levy-how-it-will-work/apprenticeship-levy-how-it-will-work

Non-Levy Employer

  • Non-levy paying employers will share the cost of training and assessing their apprentices with government - this is called ‘co-investment’
  • From May 2017, you will pay 10% towards to the cost of apprenticeship training and government will pay the rest (90%), up to the funding bands maximum www.gov.uk/government/publications/apprenticeship-funding-bands

Manage your apprenticeship training and assessment

If you do not pay the levy, you won’t be able to use the apprenticeship service to pay for apprenticeship training and assessment until at least 2018.

Instead, you’ll need to agree a payment schedule with the provider and pay them directly for the training. The provider must prove that you have paid your contributions as a condition of government paying its contribution.

There are 2 different types of apprenticeships to choose from:

  • Apprenticeship standards - each standard covers a specific occupation and sets out the core skills, knowledge and behaviours an apprentice will need; they are developed by employer groups known as ‘trailblazers
  • Apprenticeship frameworks - a series of work-related vocational and professional qualifications, with workplace- and classroom-based training

Here is a link to the Institute of Apprenticeships which will give you the approved apprenticeship standards, funding band and those standards that are also in development www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/?includeApprovedForDelivery=true

We are here to support you every step of the way in recruiting a new apprentice or upskilling your existing workforce. Once you have identified a need in your organisation for an apprentice or the development of existing staff , we can discuss with you how much involvement you would like to have in the recruitment process and existing staff we will assess their training needs within their current job role and offer the most suitable course.

If you are looking for a new recruit, we can advertise your vacancy on the National Apprenticeship Service site. www.apprenticeships.org.uk, www.getmyfirstjob.co.uk and of course our website www.mercia-college.co.uk